Where Treasure Hides,
Tyndale Digital First
Author Johnnie Alexander Donley writes stories of suspense, intrigue, and romance set in World War II. Her debut book, Where Treasure Hides, won the American Christian Fiction Writers Genesis contest for Historical Fiction in 2011. A history enthusiast, Johnnie has also edited nonfiction manuscripts and textbooks. She is a founding member of the Central Florida chapter of American Christian Fiction Writers. A longtime Florida resident, Johnnie cherishes family memories, classic movies, and her papillon, Rugby.
Johnnie is represented by Tamela Hancock Murray with The Steve Laube Agency.
Her email address is johnnie.donley at ymail.com.
- Bronze Medalist, My Book Therapy Frasier Contest, 2012, for contemporary romance tentatively titled Where the Whippoorwill Calls
- Winner, ACFW Genesis Contest in Historical Fiction, 2011, for Where Treasure Hides
- Best Novel, Florida Christian Writers Conference, 2010, for When Sparrow Falls
- Writer of the Year, Florida Christian Writers Conference, 2009, for Twirl
- Best Novel, Florida Christian Writers Conference, 2009, for Twirl
- Sigma Tau Delta Honors Conference, University of Central Florida, for "e. e. cummings: A Celebration of Sponta(typographical)neity"
American Christian Fiction Writers Activities
- Genesis Contest Historical Fiction Category Coordinator (2013)
- First Impressions First Round Judge (2012)
- Genesis Contest Historical Romance First Round Judge (2012)
- Central Florida Chapter President and Founding Member
Where Treasure Hides (Tyndale, 2013)
The Write Team: Starting an Online Writing Group
by the Kindred Heart Writers (self-published)
“After the Conference – Now What?” Cross and Quill
“A New Year’s Memory” Over the Back Fence
“e. e. cummings: A Celebration of Sponta(typographical)neity” Calliope
“On I-70" The Nebraska English Counselor
“Have You Seen This Child?” Nebraska English Counselor
“Luke 23:34" Broken Streets IV
“No Looking Back” Plainsongs
“Summer Dance” Plainsongs
For more than two years, I published an eight-page newsletter called Today’s Scrapbook. Based on the historical domestic advice scrapbooks of the early 1900s, it included short historical articles, biographies of notable women, book reviews, readers’ essays, household tips, and recipes.
- Contributor to the Kindred Heart Writers blog;
- Contributor to Sudden Truth, a devotional written by the Kindred Heart Writers which has agent representation;
- Revised, edited, and ghostwritten college textbooks, nonfiction manuscripts, and works of fiction;
- Wrote hundreds of search engine optimization (SEO) articles for a client’s website;
- Wrote numerous speeches, press releases, correspondence, newsletters, abstracts, and informational booklets during employment with two Members of the Florida Legislature;
- Created and oversaw the publication of a newspaper for senior citizens as a campaign volunteer;
- Wrote, edited, proofed, and researched material for A Beka Books; and,
- Participated in NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month, in 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012 ("won" five years).
- Fresh Start Womens Conference, New Beginnings Christian Church, Tampa, Florida (2011)
- 2011 Florida Christian Writers Conference After Hours: "Map the Journey: Explore Your Unique Writing Adventure"
- 2010 Florida Christian Writers Conference After Hours: “Novice Novelist Novel Notes”
- 2009 Florida Christian Writers Conference After Hours: “After the Conference – Now What?”
- 2009 Florida Christian Writers Conference After Hours: “Starting an Online Writing Group” (presented with other members of the Kindred Heart Writers)
- Various Christian women’s groups
- ACFW Central Florida Chapter, Charter Member and Vice-President
- American Christian Fiction Writers
- Grace and Faith Author Connection
- Imagine That! Writers
- Kindred Heart Writers
- My Book Therapy Voices
- The Writers View
- Florida Christian Writers Conference (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011)
- American Christian Fiction Writers Conference (2010, 2012)
- Master Seminar: “Adding Depth to Your Fiction” with Susan Meissner and Lisa Samson (May 2010)
- American Christian Writers Conference (2006, 2008)
- Authors Blitz (2007)
Prior Employment History
Senior District Executive Secretary
07/1991 to 11/2006
- Performed district liaison, constituent service, and office management duties;
- Wrote responses regarding legislative issues to concerned citizens;
- Wrote letters to government agencies on behalf of constituents who requested assistance;
- Wrote speeches and press releases;
- Created, wrote, formatted, and edited informational booklets, newsletters, congratulatory cards, abstracts, office forms, stationery, bulletins, and programs;
- Evaluated grant applications for non-profit groups; and
- Organized grant-writing workshops for local non-profits and county legislative delegation meetings.
09/1990 to 05/1991
- Wrote and edited the front matter and the suggestions for teachers, including questions, vocabulary lists, and enrichment ideas, for a fourth grade reader, All Things – Even Frisky;
- Wrote and edited various lessons for a sixth grade art projects text, including the material for the works of featured artists and ideas for summer projects;
- Edited lessons for a sixth-grade spelling text;
- Prepared the index for a seventh-grade science text and also assisted in the editing, writing, and proofing of the glossary for the same book; and
- Performed other editing, writing, proofing, and research tasks as directed.
Master of Liberal Studies, Rollins College, Orlando, Florida (2003)
Thesis: Exploring the Human-Canine Bond (creative nonfiction)
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration; (1990)
Liberty University’s Lifelong Learning Program, Lynchburg, Virginia
- Guardian ad litem, Ninth Judicial Circuit – Osceola County, Florida;
- Facilitator of Hearts Above women's Bible study group (meets on a weekly basis);
- Past speaker at small events for women;
- Have taught several Sunday School and Vacation Bible school classes; and
- Various volunteer activities in churches, schools, and the communnity.